[wp-hackers] How to install a new theme?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Feb 24 21:11:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> I'm curious why the Ubuntu 13.10 packager installed Wordpress has
> everything owned and grouped by root, with write permissions only for
> root. Is their package defective?

It is my considered opinion that using any distribution's "packaged"
version of WordPress is a bad idea. I don't know why they do this sort
of thing to begin with.

Install the webserver, php, mysql, etc. from your package manager of
choice. Then find the relevant public_html folder and put your own
copy of WordPress in there, directly from the zip or tarball from
WordPress.org.

Makes little to no sense to use a package manager for installing
WordPress, except that it might configure a database for you, which
takes all of a minute to do yourself.

-Otto