[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Thu Feb 20 17:24:28 UTC 2014

Hi John,

This - more or less - is exactly how we operate.

We have a look. If we see indications of badness, but no specific
vulnerabilities, we write that up and publish the inspection.

If we see vulnerabilities, we write up an advisory and disclose it
responsibly, exactly as you suggest (details:
https://security.dxw.com/disclosure/).

I don't think it is necessary to disclose in advance for an inspection,
because we're not announcing that the neighbour's shed is broken. We're
announcing that neighbour's shed's looking a bit old and tatty, and that
people might not want to keep their stuff in it until it's fixed.

Quite a few people have suggested that we should reach out to plugin
authors, though. I am, in principle, happy to do that. But such a
mechanism would have to be at least partly automated, and we have no
private contact details for plugin authors. So, the best we could do is
probably to have a bot that posts on people's forums. But that's more
notification than notice, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea
of such a bot in any event.

If you have an idea for how we can reliably, semi-automatically give
authors notice, and then publish after some predefined time - I'm all ears.

Harry