[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

John dailyrants at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:50:01 UTC 2014

The community would be better served if you first contacted plugin authors
and the maintainers of the WP plugin repo regarding security issues.

If the door on your neighbor's shed was broken, making it easy for thieves
to enter, would you first announce it to the whole community in a letter to
the editor alongside an ad for your door repair services, or would you be
Dudley Do-Right and tell your neighbor directly?

If you've reviewed enough code to make the claims, you can certainly reveal
specific vulnerabilities to the plugin authors and allow them to fix them.
This is pretty much the way any open source community handles security
issues. If you do enough of that, the money will come - if that's what you
want.

After a reasonable period of time after security updates have been released
(or not in cases where plugin authors are unresponsive), the public service
announcement could follow.