[wp-hackers] Discontinuing a plugin on WordPress.org

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Aug 8 16:09:01 UTC 2014

I have "adopted" three Plugins (one of which - thankfully - the primary
development was taken back over by the original developer). But what Otto
said is entirely correct: if someone wants to adopt a Plugin, just contact
the developer. From there, it's a simple matter of the developer entering
your WPORG username in the correct field on the Plugin's Admin page in the
Plugin Directory.

On a related note: I forked a Plugin a long time ago, and eventually, that
Plugin's functionality was entirely superseded by core functionality. The
Plugin had tens of thousands of downloads, so I couldn't simply stop
maintaining it, or blanking out the latest version in SVN. Instead, I added
information to the readme.txt explaining why the Plugin's functionality was
no longer necessary, then in a later version, I gracefully backed out the
Plugin's hooks, then in a much later version, removed the no-longer-hooked
Plugin functions:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/cbnet-ping-optimizer/

I had thought about asking the Plugin team to remove it, but since I still
see quite a bit of misinformation about the Plugin's necessity from time to
time, it seems to be more beneficial to leave it as-is.

So, that might be an approach worth taking for the OP's Plugin.