[wp-hackers] Mass-Import Process to run in background

Nicholas Ciske nl at thoughtrefinery.com
Wed Apr 23 17:16:01 UTC 2014

You break it into chunks -- usually via ajax requests (or meta-refresh if you cant to go old school).

Basically, you make a call to process X rows, that call returns when it's done, you update the % done accordingly, then make the next call to process another X rows.

As long as each call completes within the timeout (be conservative for crappy shared hosting), you just keep hammering away until the import is complete.

The WooCommerce CSV importer is a pretty good model for this (not free, but solid code).

A free plugin model would be an ajax thumbnail tool like:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/ajax-thumbnail-rebuild/

Nick Ciske
http://thoughtrefinery.com/
@nciske