[wp-hackers] Improving performance for lots of comments

Roger Chen developer at rogerhub.com
Mon Sep 30 23:23:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,

One of my WordPress pages has 2,000+ comments and when I visit it, it can
take 5-6 seconds to load. Of course, this isn't a problem for visitors
because a cached version gets served, but it is still annoying to have to
wait that long for all of the comments to render. I don't want to break the
comments into pages either, since all of those comments are a huge SEO
boost.

I have removed cut down my comments template to the bare minimum, but the
comment markup loop still takes too long. I wish there were some way for
WordPress to automatically cache the markup for past comments so that every
time a new comment is posted, it only needs to generate markup for new
comments.

Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Roger