[wp-hackers] Allow users to upload their own images - hook to use?

BenderisGreat greglancaster71 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 20:40:08 UTC 2013

I am looking for the most intelligent way to allow users to upload images on
the front end, and retaining the association to the user who uploaded the
image.  Then have the images that user uploaded display back on their
profile page when logged in.

The catch is the form they used to uplaod the image uses a sep database to
store other field information (using $wpdb).  I want each row to allow for
the attachment of any images they chose to upload with the data. It can be
linked up using a unique key, or row ID and userID, whatever is fine (unless
there is a standard I should adhere to that I don't know about).

I have looked at *wp_handle_upload* and  *media_handle_upload*

Not sure which fits this situation best. Could one of you who has experience
with this share some input about which is best, and how to go about calling
it back into their profile to an href for viewing.