[wp-hackers] Transient key best practice

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 10 21:44:29 UTC 2013

Note that transients are not always stored in the options table, this
is just one possible place that they can be put. So that length
limitation isn't enforced in WordPress itself because other systems
might not have the same limitation.

Still, 45 characters is reasonably long for any realistic case. MD5
produces 32 characters, leaving you another 13 for a unique prefix.
Although I'd try to avoid even that long, generally speaking.

-Otto