[wp-hackers] How to test a plugin before release?

Michael Clark dc153464a11bcf5aeb18180db28017fb.wp-hackers at planetmike.com
Mon Sep 9 21:08:23 UTC 2013

Last week I released an upgrade to a plugin. And started getting bug
reports that same day. Finally late last night I figured out what the
problem was. I and a few people test the new version, and was mostly
good. So this morning I released a new version, and am now getting
different bug reports. Argh! Of course, it's all working just fine on
my own sites.

So, how should I be testing my plugin? Searching for answers to this
question, I found this quote: "Free or not, any type of update
shouldn't be released until fully tested." There are a zillion
different themes and plugins out there, and there's no way to test for
every combination. Should I be building out a "beta test club" to help
me test new versions? I'm quite frustrated at the moment. And don't get
me started on the ever so helpful bug reports of "hey, it doesn't work
- fix it!" and "lame"

If you're curious, my plugin is at
http://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder/ Mike

--

Michael Clark
http://www.PlanetMike.com

Christmas Music 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a week
http://www.ChristmasMusic247.com

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
 - Martin Luther King Jr.