[wp-hackers] WP 3.7 auto-update

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Oct 10 15:31:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Pascal Birchler
<pascal.birchler at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes, that's absolutely normal. WordPress only updates files that have
> actually changed. Especially in a beta, only a couple of files change
> between nightly releases.

That part is actually somewhat new. We used to copy over all files we
downloaded, which I guess might trigger an update to access time or change
time (but not modification time). In WordPress 3.7, we now md5 files before
copying and only copy over files that were changed. End result is the same,
but it means faster updates, and more stability as there are less I/O
operations.

Pretty cool, I think.

Nacin