[wp-hackers] Privacy issues & encryption of data

Jeff Rose jeff at jeffrose.ca
Tue Nov 19 17:35:00 UTC 2013

Through my 9-5 job yesterday, I was informed that beginning next year, the
state of California (maybe others) will require more personally
identifiable information stored in websites to be encrypted.

This includes usernames, email addresses and even first & last names, which
WordPress stores in clear text.

This not only affects sites located in California, but also those who may
have users FROM California.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts (not to be taken as legal advice) on
how to handle this in WordPress, or if WordPress core will address this.

--
Jeff Rose