[wp-hackers] Escaping post meta values

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 22 15:54:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Dan Phiffer <dan at phiffer.org> wrote:
> Hi wp-hackers,
>
> What's the deal with post meta value escaping? I didn't see any mention of it in the documentation, but it seems important if you're ever going to store JSON data in the postmeta table (i.e., {"key":"value with \"quotes\" in the content."})

The meta functions expect unescaped data to be sent to them.

Basically, meaning that you shouldn't be storing JSON data directly,
but instead storing the PHP form of the data. So, json_decode it
before saving it as meta, then json_encode it if you need to send it
back to a browser or elsewhere.

-Otto