[wp-hackers] GSoC Idea - Notifications( New User Walkthrough )

Hard Patel hardpatel28 at gmail.com
Fri May 3 13:32:29 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,

I would love to answer your questions.
I have updated my blog
post<http://hardpatel.com/wp/gsoc-2013-notifications/>and my GSoC
application<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/hardyy/1>accordingly
to answer your questions.

A quick summary,
I plan to store data in wp_options table in serialized format as it is not
going to be too large to handle.

I have started envisioning Notifications API and more details about API has
already been updated at both the places.

By tutorial, i didn't mean simple text based tutorial. I meant current
activity based tutorial.
For eg if user has not done any initial task out of 7, then notification
center will display “Welcome to WordPress, here are 7 basic things which
can make your WP rock”.
And clicking on that notification will take them to page which can help
user to complete remaining tasks.

User walkthrough is going to be just a part of Notification Center. Since
it is going to use the same API and mechanisms.

If you still think it won't be a good idea to do both of them, and i have
to choose between notification center and user walkthrough to make only one
thing awesome, I would like Notification Center based on current activities
more. :)

Thank you for the time and consideration.

Blog Post - http://hardpatel.com/wp/gsoc-2013-notifications/
GSoC Application -
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/hardyy/1

Best Regards,