[wp-hackers] WordPress Maturity (was)Re: hate

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Wed May 1 00:54:09 UTC 2013

On Apr 30, 2013, at 2:19 PM, SCOTT TAYLOR <scott.c.taylor at mac.com> wrote:
> Trac can be painfully frustrating, but it's the only way a bill becomes a law. Once I started subscribing to the firehose of ticket email, hanging out in IRC during bug scrubs, and spending more time patching orphan tickets, I became way more satisfied with how things work.
>
> If you were to post a valid patch on a ticket right this second with a thoughtful comment, and that ticket was a defect / bug, Sergey would trip over himself running to the keyboard to mark it for 3.6, and might commit it on the spot.
>
> I had 60+ committed in 3.6 so far - https://core.trac.wordpress.org/search?q=wonderboymusic&noquickjump=1&changeset=on
>
> I had none committed in 3.4 because I was upset that no one was championing my patches for me

What you'd just explained is it takes a lot of time and effort and politicking to get patches posted to Trac to make their way to fixes in core.  And there are not many people who can devote that much time.

And that was effectively what I was saying, that posting a patch to Trac is far from sufficient regarding the resolution of issues people may have. This is not me making a judgment about the process (in this context), I'm only pointing out for the benefit of newer people who might be lead to believe others that simply posting a patch to Trac is not a panacea which I posted because of:

On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:06 PM, SCOTT TAYLOR <scott.c.taylor at mac.com> wrote:
> The biggest complainers are almost always the people who ... do NOT submit patches.

-Mike