[wp-hackers] term_meta

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 18:51:21 UTC 2013

two questions...

What is the ETA on term_meta?

and what would you recommend for the time being for this need?

What I need to is the following;

for each taxonomy_term, I'd like to have brief description, detailed
description, a representative image ref, type ( such as it's a place/ or
people or event or a concept etc and depending on which ever type it is
some more properties such as if it's a place, is that a geographical
location, school, landmark, etc and if it was of the type of  people, is
that a politician, athlete etc etc...

What's the best way to handle this need.

One idea is to copy a post_meta table and the API's that deal with that a
put together something that mimics similar functionality, similar API
names. But I think someone might have already done that.

Another idea is to create an internal CPT called "term_taxonomies", and
create a post for each and every term created under the post_tags. ( I have
a controlled tag library so the tags do not grow wild ).

This way, I plan on doing things like when the user is on say, /tag/istanbul

do a look up on the slug "istanbul" to locate the corresponding CPT entry
and read the image, description, type info and display things with it. Kind
of like what google has started doing as demonstrated on this URL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=istanbul&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS486US486&aq=f&oq=istanbul&aqs=chrome.0.57j61j59j5j60j0.2335j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Of course, I would like to get links on that zone such as istanbul
landmarks, schools, as clickable links.

What's your take on this? How would you pull this off with the current
state of WP?