[wp-hackers] case sensitivity on new term creation

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 00:19:28 UTC 2013

What's a good  way to modify the Wordpress new term creation functionality
so that it does not create new terms ( thus -2 slugs _ for those terms
where only the casing is different?

By default, WP creates two seperate terms for "Joe" ( with slug joe ), and
for  "joe" ( with slug joe-2).

I want WordPress to do a case insensitive search in determining if joe was
used. Currently, the search is case sensitive.
If it were to treat Joe and joe as the same, then I can have totally
avoided the "joe".

With this modification, yes I am aware that I won't be able to create
"Apple" and "apple" as two separate terms one to mean the Apple Inc and the
other the fruit. But that's fine me. In my case, I am getting a lot of -2
slugs for terms that mean the same thing and tha'ts because my users are
careless.  So I do need to change the default.

How can I achieve this?