[wp-hackers] GitHub submodule theme development?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 18:37:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM, Harry Metcalfe <harry at dxw.com> wrote:
> Since we're having a git workflow discussion, here's ours :)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! :)

> We make wp-content into a repo.

Ahhh, I was wondering about doing that. It makes sense to version
control the whole wp-content folder.

My solution was to just .gitignore things, but I'll have to play
making wp-content a repo.

> For themes or plugins that are reused in
> other projects, we add submodules that are shared.

How to do you test/develop those submodules (or, are they other
people's code that you're just linking to ... i.e you don't modify
directly)?

If you have the time to go into some details, I'm really curious to
hear more about how you develop themes locally and then push/pull
to/from remote/local.

> For things specific to
> this project, they just live in the main wp-content repo, or occasionally in
> their own submodule if that makes it easier to apply updates.

That makes sense. Do you have any publicly viewable repos that have
this type of setup? Just curious (I think I follow your setup, but I'd
love to have a visual too). :-}

> Once we've got the wp-content directory set up we use Whippet to start a
> local development server, and that takes care of the core files for us:
> https://github.com/dxw/whippet

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for tip/link, I'll check it out. :)

> We also usually use Less for CSS, so the wp-content repo usually has a a
> node manifest and a gruntfile so we can compile and minify css (and do some
> other things) in the background while we're developing.

+1 for grunt.

Thanks for details! I really appreciate it. :)