[wp-hackers] Removing edit theme files features

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Thu Jan 17 19:48:18 UTC 2013

The codex (and common sense) say you need to thoroughly backup your site
before you dive into this deep end of the pool.  Yet there is no built-in
functionality to do that, certainly none that does the files I'll be
messing up with this tool.

Seems you're sending mixed messages.  A five minute install but one,
according to the Codex, requires shell or FTP, a text editor, an FTP
client, and so on to install it (see:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress).  But you're saying they
don't know how to do that?  How did they get it installed?

I was unaware of the DISALLOW_FILE_MODS option until this thread, and you
can be betting it will be standard on my installs.  But I still wonder the
point and the safety of this tool.