[wp-hackers] Removing edit theme files features

Chris Taylor mrwiblog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:38:19 UTC 2013

I agree it's useful to be able to hack theme files(and plugin files) direct
in WordPress. To stop 500 errors maybe some kind of sandboxing system, as
is used for plugin, could be developed?

In terms of making the actual theme editing experience better there are
plenty Open Source JavaScript code editors, but perhaps this is more suited
to a plugin (even a loaded-by-default one) than core code.

Chris

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013, Leo Ji <leo.lj.ji at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think it should be taken out but perhaps a layer of protection
> from that sort of thing could be introduced?
>
> How about disabling it by default and then enabling through a constant set
> in wp-config.php? Then most users won't have access to the editor, but
> people who need it can enable it through FTP + text editor.
>
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2013, Andy Charrington-Wilden wrote:
>
>> > Most users don't know about text editors, or FTP
>>
>> So what do they so when they cause a 500 by messing with the themes
>> function file?
>>
>> Not trying to be pedantic but I've had to fix many sites where the
>> inexperienced user has caused a 500 from messing with the files in the
>> editor.
>>
>> I don't think it should be taken out but perhaps a layer of protection
>> from that sort of thing could be introduced?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 16 Jan,2013, at 8:01 AM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com
<javascript:;>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Almog Baku <almog.baku at gmail.com
<javascript:;>>

>> > Most users don't know about text editors, or FTP. And nor should they,
>> > unless they want to. Those that know enough to edit wp-config.php when
>> > asked probably have no idea how to make such changes as part of an
>> > effective workflow. Rather, they download the file, edit it, re-upload
>> the
>> > file — if they didn't use the editor built into their web host's crummy
>> > file browser.
>> >
>> > It should be okay for users to hack around and hit save. I don't see
why
>> > the tool can't be a more "professional tool," as you say. We're not
going
>> > to remove a feature in order to to make WordPress less appealing to our
>> > broad user base. WordPress is for amateurs. It's for photographers.
It's