[wp-hackers] WordPress plugins SVN server malfunctioning?

Bryan Petty bryan at ibaku.net
Tue Jan 15 19:50:55 UTC 2013

I was being mostly sarcastic (hence emoticon)... but ok...

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Bryan Petty <bryan at ibaku.net> wrote:
>> At least when that hammer hits git, it doesn't cripple everyone from
>> getting work done. ;)
>
> I'll remember that you said that next time GitHub goes down (as it
> seems to do once a month) and everybody complains about it on Twitter.

Did I say "GitHub"? Honestly though, I'd take a day of downtime every
month anytime over a month of my issues with the plugins SVN repo not
getting any attention (#23107).

It's not like I pay for either though. I don't complain every time
GitHub goes down, and I also haven't complained about my issue on the
plugins SVN repo (until now anyway).

> You don't need version control to "get work done".

I did say "cripple", not "block", but I only feel sorry for you if
you're saying your entire workflow still doesn't involve taking
advantage of any version control tools to speed up various tasks.
Programmers were certainly writing code well before version control
systems existed, but WordPress isn't using SVN just for the hell of
it, and there aren't 574 forks of the GitHub WP mirror (even though
it's only a mirror) just because people think git and forks look cool.

Regards,
Bryan Petty