[wp-hackers] Plugin conflicts with latest version of Jetpack

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Wed Jan 2 18:33:54 UTC 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Bryan Petty <bryan at ibaku.net> wrote:
> Bluehost uses servers configured to use ETags, and as such, this is
> the behavior seen there (at no point are Expires headers even used):
>
> On subsequent page load (no refresh): Static assets served from
> browser cache, no server request made (just as Otto describes).
> On soft refresh (F5, or clicking Reload): Server request made, but if
> still cached, this will still result in 304.
> On hard refresh (Ctrl-Reload): Full CSS file returned from server and
> re-cached by browser.
>
> At least, this is Chrome's behavior, other browsers may be different.
> GoDaddy also uses ETags with the same behavior.

Thanks for the follow up.  My understanding with ETags is you have to submit a request with the ETag to have the server decide if it needs to serve or not.  If not can you elaborate on how ETags keep static assets from being re-requested?

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html

> First-page load equates to every time you F5/refresh. Nobody can get around that, so what is G on about?.

Forgive me but I'm at a loss for what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying first page load performance is not important?

> If you want to discuss the tarpit issue with WordPress plugins, lets talk about the fact that so many of them load everything including the kitchen sink into the server process despite most of it being irrelevant/redundant.

Also here, what exactly do you mean by "load everything including the kitchen sink into the server process?"  Can you give some specifics? I'm again at a loss for your point.

> And if WordPress itself can send HTTP headers, it stands to reason that so can any coder.

Yes, sending headers from a .php file is easy.  How does the WordPress plugin developer do that for static files?  Are you advocating serving .js and .css files using .php, i.e. styles.js.php and styles.css.php? That is an option, but doesn't address first page load performance.

-Mike