[wp-hackers] Meta boxes and post metadata

Neil Pie bacon at neilpie.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 00:08:30 UTC 2013

The only time I experience issues with this is when trying to get the meta-data into a column in the wp-admin listings table and making that column sortable.

The MySQL joins that are used when WP queries data in the postmeta table will leave any non-existing rows out of the result set, whereas existing but 'empty' rows are returned. In the first case it can confuse the user by displaying different numbers of results than an unsorted search, and post totals don't match up.

If I'm doing_it_wrong then I'd love to know the right way to add postmeta into a sortable column in the admin tables - it will save me a real headache and what feels like an awful hack in one of my plugins that is certainly otherwise unnecessary.

Thanks,
Neil