[wp-hackers] Need a clarification regarding wordpress.org plugin guidelines for the new version of our plugin

Mika Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Sun Dec 22 16:29:31 UTC 2013

Best to email plugins AT Wordpress.org for this one - that be the final call on repo rules.

Keep in mind, the real point of the rule is about serviceware. That is if your plugin is doing all the work (and not sending files to your own servers) then using a license check is totally against the rules. When we talk about crippling, we talk about the usefulness of the plugin. How much of the pro plugin is included in the free one? There's no set number, it's more about use.

As Eric said, this functionality is in other plugins, but more, are the majority of FREE users using this aspect? If so, it would be a bad marketing idea, but also bumping up on that crippling rule.