[wp-hackers] Will automatic translation files updates overwrite user's modifications

Justas Butkus jbutkus at time.ly
Tue Dec 3 22:21:52 UTC 2013

You would have to manually create merge product. You may use msgmerge[1]
or similar command to accomplish this. I am not sure if there is some
PHP implementation of this.

Translation files themselves are not meant to be extended, unlike
classes in object oriented programming.

[1]:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/msgmerge-Invocation.html

--