[wp-hackers] Will automatic translation files updates overwrite user's modifications

Nikola Nikolov nikolov.tmw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 19:03:18 UTC 2013

It just occurred to me - the new feature(automatic download/update of
translation files) that is planned for WordPress is awesome, but would it
overwrite any changes the user might have done to the local translation
file?

For instance, the user has installed the Codestyling Localization plugin,
or has a different way of overwriting translation files and has modified
one or more translation files.

Why would they do that? Well they just don't like the wording for instance
- translation files are a great way to tweak texts(even when the original
text is in the same language), without having to modify the code.

So what I'm wondering is - are those edits going to be lost upon update or
are they going to be preserved? It's true that if it's the translation file
of a theme or a plugin that they changed, upon updating those the edits
would be lost, but does the same apply for WordPress translation
files(stored in /wp-content/languages/)?