[wp-hackers] Including Sidebar Content via Conditionals Within Same File

Dobri dyordan1 at ramapo.edu
Thu Aug 15 20:38:47 UTC 2013

Don't mean to burst your bubble but there are multiple issues with this. Here are some to consider:

Whenever you use if, if/else, for, foreach, etc. putting a ; at the end of the line terminates it. So, essentially both your foreach and if statements don't do anything and then the code that follows is executed devoid of any logic. The correct syntax would be foreach($tags as $tag){… and if ($end = 'help') return...
When testing a variable, saying for example $end = 'help' will just do an assignment and return the value that was assigned which in 99% of the cases will evaluate to true. So even if your if statement was correct, it would always execute because you are using assignment by = instead of comparison by ==. The correct syntax would be $end == 'help'
Even if your foreach was written correctly (as above), you are only using the last value by saying $end=$tag_name. At that point, just remove the loop and say $end = $tags[count($tags)-1] if you just want the last element. If you want to check each element, your whole code block has to be refactored
You are using a mixture of return and echo and I'm pretty sure you only want to use one of them. If this is executing inside of a filter function there is a good chance that both return and echo will render in more or less the same place but that doesn't mean to mix them, stick to the better practice of return in case someone wants to further filter your thing down the pipe or something.
Overall, I have a feeling you are not very experienced with coding but you made a good attempt so don't be discouraged by my previous comments! I'd say try to work on the issues above and if you can't figure it out I'll take a look at your first email and see if I can help you out.

Cheers! Don't hate me.

P.S. An hour is *nothing* for coding. Don't be discouraged.

~Dobri