[wp-hackers] Ideas for GSoC

Brian Iván Martínez xangelux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:08:18 UTC 2013

Is there documentation on the GUID? I thought it was a Microsoft closed
algorithm. About the conflicts, I threw that in in case you wanted to use
integers (decimal) only (for faster query operations) and in case the
resulting new UUID (decimal) conflicts with the old id, then that aproach
can be taken, if that is the case, but if not, the simple new UUID
conversion is taken with no conflicts.

2013/4/30 Eric Mann <eric at eam.me>

> > The new UUID would be made out of the username+timestamp from the epoch
> > and that string would be md5'ed
>

> Why not use a true GUID? XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX It's a fairly
> standard and recognizable data structure.
>
> The resulting UUID of the users may conflict between on systems with a
> > large number of users as the new UUID can be the same as the old id of a
> user
> > on those systems.
>

> If this kind of conflict is possible, then there's a flaw in the UUID
> system you're using.
>

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Brian Iván Martínez <xangelux at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm interested in the GSoC and I'd like to be mentored by you
> guys.
> > I like some of the ideas in the GSoC over in wordpress site but I have
> some
> > ideas of my own too that I'd like to run by you before submiting my
> proyect
> > thing.
> >
> > The first Idea is:
> >
> > Public/Un-public
> > Sometimes you are writing something, but then you have to go, so you save
> > it as a draft; then you come back and continue your draft and post it.
> But
> > then you realize you wrote something you don't want everyone to see, so
> > your only option is copy the content and delete the post to write it
> > somewhere else. It would be really useful to have a big red/blue button
> > publish your post or hide it if you don't want everybody to read it,
> maybe
> > you have a long post and you plan to post it in a specific date, so you
> > draft it but if you don't remember to post it then you may post it too
> > late, this post button may be programmed to warn you to post it or even
> > post it automatically via a Trigger or php.
> >
> > Besides annother idea is create a social circle inside wordpress where
> you
> > can create a group for close friends who also public in your wordpress or
> > simply in wordpress.com. This is for the only pourpuse of leave post
> only
> > for users on a group. This groups are more important than the blogs you
> > follow, because you can get a really long feed from all the blogs you
> > follow and your friends posts get lost in the huge list that some times
> > becomes too long, didn't read (tl;dr). That adds some interesting
> features
> > to wordpress like  friends groups' feed on a list, friends on a group but
> > don't want their feed on the friends feed and a posibility to send a
> friend
> > a notification of a post if you know your friend will be interested with
> > "tag" friend button instead of an email .
> >
> > Well, it seems I pured some ideas in the last one, well, the next idea is
> > an implementation of the not public post. A lot of users use wordpress
> [...]

Ellos se ríen de mi por que soy diferente, yo me río de ellos por que todos
son iguales-- J. Davis