[wp-hackers] Limit Login Attempts

Vid Luther vid at zippykid.com
Tue Apr 16 19:56:40 UTC 2013

As a hosting provider, here's our take on things.. we'd love your feedback.

1. Having dictionary based passwords is a very good way to get in, these
bots can sometimes guess the right password on the first hit, if that
happens, a "brute force detector" is useless.

2. In theory, as a hosting provider, we would love a way to share the
offending ips across our sites and with other providers. Maintaining the
accuracy of this list is daunting, and something we're understaffed to do.

3. Blocking 90,000 ips is not feasible. Currently we're handling 250,000
connections/second. Each connection being pre-approved will kill our edge
devices. Now, compare that to Automattic, or the larger providers like
Hostgator/GoDaddy etc.. it's just something that's not feasible.

4. We don't use apache, so all these plugins that use .htaccess are useless
on our systems.

I personally think 2 factor authentication is where we need to move. It's
going to be a pain to educate the layman about it, but it is possible, and
we should. The websites we host at zippyKid are business websites, most of
these businesses deploy an alarm on premise, why they wouldn't or shouldn't
on their own website is beyond me. Trying to make WordPress login more
"secure" is pointless. We need to make more educated users.