[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sat Apr 13 03:36:44 UTC 2013

Kevinjohn Gallagher wrote:
> A student with no years of full-time professional experience with real-world examples of high-traffic non-blog client sites, has to architect an API with limited knowledge of RESTful API best practices, in 40 working days (including planning, testing etc), and it's then going to be rolled out to 17% of the internet* as the definitive JSON API layer for the world's most popular CMS = RISK MANAGEMENT HELL.

Let me clear some things up:

1. I do have experience with working with high-traffic client sites,
although I am unable to disclose those. I've been working professionally
with WordPress for the past 2-3 years, and I've been working on
WP-related projects for at least the past 6.

2. My knowledge of REST isn't *that* limited, and I have a much deeper
understanding of the HTTP protocol (which is, after all, the core of
REST) than many on this list [0].

3. Core integration is something that would come after the project, not
as part of it. The project would be built around aiming for core
integration, but not with that as a goal during the GSoC time.

4. It's a little more than 40 working days:

	Now - May 3: Submission of application
	May 27: Acceptance
	May 27 - June 17: Getting up to speed with the mentoring project
	June 17 - July 29: Work phase
	July 29: Midterm evaluations
	July 29 - September 16: Work phase, part 2
	September 16 - 23: Final checking for bugs

I intend to use the time from now all the way through June 17 as
planning for the project. I'm pretty familiar with WordPress, so there's
no need to get up to speed on coding standards/etc.

That gives 65 days planning and 91 days working on the implementation.
That's about 42% of the year dedicated to this project.

5. No man is an island. I won't be working on this project in isolation,
nor would that be a good idea.

[0]: http://requests.ryanmccue.info/

--
Ryan McCue