[wp-hackers] auto-loading plugin deps ( prev: pluggable functions )

Ben Lobaugh lists at lobaugh.net
Mon Oct 29 05:17:51 UTC 2012

Hey Mike,

I think it would be great to see something similar to the enqueue
scripts that you can pass required dependencies to, probably the slug of
the plugin from the repo. If it does not exist then WP will disable the
plugin and/or prompt you to install the dependency to enable the plugin.

I have written a few library plugins as well and I can sympathize with
the dependency management and load order of plugins. It is tricky with
the current way WP works, but I do not think it would be too difficult
to add something of that sort to the system. Check and see if anything
like that exists on Trac, if not would you be interested in exploring a
solution to patch core to do that with me?

Cheers,
Ben