[wp-hackers] cheap 404 serving

"Matthias P. Würfl" mpw at taquiri.de
Thu Oct 18 14:08:16 UTC 2012

Am 17.10.2012 17:24, schrieb Mike Bijon:

> If you're looking to scale at this level it might be worth reading
> everything on Barry's blog, starting with,
> http://barry.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/static-hostname-hashing-in-pound/.

My Problem is not caching of existent content. I talked about requests
that end in a 404.

> This is relevant to your suggestion because nginx (replaced Pound years
> ago) and Varnish accomplish the same thing as Alex's plugin but in a more
> fault tolerant way.

Wordpress sends pragma:no-cache on 404. Whoever/whatever is caching this
makes a mistake.

I had a quick look at the Sourcecode of Alex' Plugin and i think it does
nothing for me. It just writes some Apache-Webserver-Configuration,
which works if:

- you use Apache (bad idea imho)
- let Apache parse .htaccess-Files (bad idea imho)
- allow Wordpress to write .htaccess-File (bad idea imho)

It's nice that Wordpress is so easy to use for newbies, but that wall
you hit when you go point-and-click sometimes sucks.

For me my problem is solved: requests to my wp_upload_dir()['basedir']
are not served by php/wordpress. Cacheable requests are cached. Other
404-errors: I hope there won't be much.

- Matthias