[wp-hackers] RFC on a ticket on trac

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Nov 19 18:43:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Justas Butkus <jbutkus at time.ly> wrote:

> It is about dbDelta white-spaces handling.
> We are working on a replacement, that would allow to diagnose (and
> compare) schema changes more accurately. Maybe it could make into WP core
> at some time as well.
> In the mean time - the best I could think of is the patch on the later
> ticket.

I think we'd love a dbDelta() that doesn't suck. We've made a few
performance-based improvements to it over the last few versions, but
haven't gone beyond that.

There's actually a newer parser in BackPress here:
http://backpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/includes/class.bp-sql-schema-parser.php.
It has some issues, like being MySQL-version dependent in a few spots,
ignoring blocks against global table upgrades, etc. If MySQL corrects a
schema update to use a similar but different column type/definition, it'll
keep trying to run the upgrade anyway. Not fun. (Peter Westwood (westi)
could probably share more.)

We're not beholden to that parser, though. We would welcome something that
is backed with unit tests (and is testable, that'd be nice) and could pass
muster at the scale WordPress sees, which is literally every MySQL
configuration under the sun.

Nacin