[wp-hackers] Plugin and Theme API Versioning

Bryan Petty bryan at ibaku.net
Mon Nov 12 18:15:29 UTC 2012

I've done some research into the WordPress deprecation and backwards
compatibility policies as it relates specifically to the WP.org plugin
and theme repositories, and I have some suggestions on changes I think
need to be made that I want to open up some discussion on. My goals
here are mostly related to the issues surrounding fully automatic
WordPress updates, just so that's clear, but I am interested in also
improving the quality and usefulness of the WP.org plugin and theme
repositories in general, and also improving WordPress core too.

I've outlined my concerns and suggestions in a blog post open to
discussion here:
http://ibaku.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/wordpress-plugin-and-theme-api-manifest-versioning/

I'd prefer to keep the discussion on that post, but replies here are
welcome too.

Regards,
Bryan Petty