[wp-hackers] child themes of child themes (grandchildren)

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Nov 9 20:12:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Shasta Willson <shastaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or try to limit your changes entirely to CSS (always a good
>> idea in any case)
>>
> So here's a question...I just removed some content I didn't want in a
> theme with display: none.

Ideally, the theme would be written such that parts you want to remove
would be removable easily instead of using this particular method, I'd
say. But we don't live in an ideal world.

The question is whether you want to modify the theme and thus make the
upgrade process more complex, or use some simple CSS to change minor
things in the way you want.

Note that this is not a problem particular to WordPress in specific...
if you're using any software with an upgrade path, and you want to
modify it, you have the same basic issues. WordPress provides lots of
means to change things with plugins and such, but if a theme chooses
not to use them, well, not much WordPress can do about that.

-Otto