[wp-hackers] Using symlinks in WP installations

Neil Pie's Bacon bacon at neilpie.co.uk
Sat May 12 06:57:42 UTC 2012

Hi all

I am wondering if there are likely to be any issues with using
symlinks to run multiple installs of WP from one set of core, plugin
and theme files, and thought it might be a good idea to post here.

I'm currently playing with a setup where everything in my DocumentRoot
directories are actually symlinks to a central install with the
exception of WP-content and .htaccess. Inside WP-content, both /themes
and /plugins are also symlinks.

I'm not really looking to this as a solution for production, but have
been playing around with it on a whole bunch of dev and staging sites.
Apart from running into file path related problems with some plugins,
everything seems fine. Can anyone foresee any problems hiding around
the corner waiting to bite me if all the appropriate constants are set
in WP-config?

Cheers
Neil