[wp-hackers] Coding Standards: Functions vs. Classes

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Mar 19 23:29:30 UTC 2012

On Mar 18, 2012 9:43 PM, "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>
wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Andrew Nacin wrote:
> > Don't be surprised if WP_Post happens in 3.5 or 3.6.
>
> I've thought about this in concept many time in the past given our own
work, and it seems that it would be practically impossible to make this
fully backward compatible.

> Am I wrong on this, or are you thinking of some sort of migration
strategy for a WP_Post?

"Practically impossible" is quite the motivator to a developer.

scribu's first pass at a real post object hit all the right places. One of
the most difficult challenges we face in core deal with backwards
compatibility. Because of this, we've gotten *very* good at writing
forward-thinking code in a backwards compatible way, to the point where the
results are practically works of art. (Code is poetry.)