[wp-hackers] newbie question on custom page templates

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Mon Mar 12 13:22:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:26, Ian Douglas <ian at powerfoundation.org> wrote:

> Thanks Mike.
>
> The theme I'm using also serves category pages, but they're lame. Just
> lists of posts. Doesn't look professional or interesting at all. The tech
> people who made that theme suggested developing custom page templates.

There are many themes that don't look lame. It sounds like you just need a
better theme. Many do not require you to build a custom page template just
to get your category archives looking good.

> Again, it surprises me that people don't see ready-made templates for
> custom pages.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Many themes have mutiple page
templates you can select from, some have them for categories and archives
too.

> On your other suggestion, am I alone in thinking that the support forums
> at wordpress.org are more or less dead? When I've posted there in the
> recent past I got virtually no replies.

No, the support forums are not dead and are in fact a first class resource.

But you must understand that they are staffed entirely by volunteers.
Follow the guidelines for asking questions, post lots of information, with
your question clearly stated, and be patient, you probably won't get an
answer in a few minutes.

Mike
--
Mike Little