[wp-hackers] newbie question on custom page templates

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Mon Mar 12 10:38:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:38, John Black <immanence7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So I have a news site, but I want it to look less like a blog than it
> does. I thought about trying to create a custom page template for each
> category, so it looks like the site has real sections. Only returns from a
> given category would show up, but there would be many ways of handing them
> (a slider, a carousel, posts with thumbnails, posts without, etc).

John,
to get different pages or sections for different categories you can use
WordPress' built in functionality. I recently recorded a video for someone
to explain how. http://mikelittle.org/2012/03/adding-category-page/

There are a number of carousel plugins out there, but you are most likely
going to need a sophisticated theme (not necessarily a commercial one) to
do what you want.

This type of query is best asked on the WordPress support forums
http://wordpress.org/support
Perhaps ask agin there.

Mike
--