[wp-hackers] Disabling Tools->Export

Bryan Petty bpetty at bluehost.com
Wed Jun 27 14:41:03 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 06:56 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> A constant is detrimental to most users of WordPress - well,
> detrimental might be the wrong word, but un-needed for sure, A plugin
> is where disabling exports should happen.

Actually, forcing users to install plugins just to enable/disable core
behavior instead of using simple true/false config settings is very
detrimental to WP users. A plugin is meant for modifying or extending
core behavior in some specialized manner, not configuring WP itself.

Just look at the level of knowledge and the amount of work involved with
performing the task of writing up this whole new plugin just to disable
export on Harry's installation. Sure, he's here on the mailing list and
obviously knows how to write plugins, but that's rarely the case with
most WP users.

The simplest answer is the one that is already possible with the current
release of WordPress, and that's obviously the advice that should be
given, so you aren't wrong in pointing Harry to that solution. However,
I would hope that it's painfully obvious that any UX team would toss a
huge red flag at these instructions, and that some alternative, easier
solution for configuring options such as this should probably be
considered or at least up for discussion.

Has anyone here ever pulled up "about:config" in Firefox or
"about:flags" in Chrome?

--
Bryan Petty
WordPress Developer