[wp-hackers] WordPress security question

Mickey Panayiotakis mickey at infamia.com
Tue Jun 5 12:50:52 UTC 2012

I've seen plenty of hacks based on timthumb vulnerabilities.
However, I don't think wordpress core uses timthumb. (I'm sure the group
will correct me here, which I invite.)

The user is left to fend on their own when using a free or commercial
theme, to a lesser or greater extent depending on the theme vendor.  Some
themes do a great job of providing updates and alerting the user to theme
and framework udpates (and thanks to WP3 we can see that in the usual
updates area).  The problem is that when you customize a theme, updates
become more visible.

One of the most disturbing bits of advice I heard recently is that if you
use a custom theme, you shouldn't update wordpress.  I'm sure what the
speaker meant was to work with your vendor to make sure that WP and all
plugins and themes stay up to date.

mickey

--

Mickey Panayiotakis