[wp-hackers] Changing the default (alphabetical) ordering of category lists on the Admin Dashboard

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 00:50:13 UTC 2012

By default, WordPress displays the order of cats alphabetically. What
do I do to put them in the order I want?

Example:

cat 1
cat 2
cat 3
   cat 3.1
   cat 3.2
   cat 3.3
   cat 3.4
   cat 3.5
   cat 3.6
   cat 3.7
   cat 3.100
cat 4
And I want it to be ordered as

cat 1
cat 2
cat 4
cat 3
   cat 3.1
   cat 3.2
   cat 3.3
   cat 3.4
   cat 3.5
   cat 3.6
   cat 3.7
   cat 3.100
One thing to clarify. This question has nothing to do with the other
default behavior of WP where WP takes the selected cats out of their
hierarchal order to display them at top. There are plug ins to deal
with that.

Here, I'm talking about the default ordering of TOP LEVEL CATS at the
time of ADDING A NEW POST.