[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Sun Jul 29 05:56:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Mike Schinkel <mike at newclarity.net> wrote:

> I also tried to make Transients work and discovered that, as you say in
> your reply, they bring in too much baggage.   So part of the minor premise
> from my posts listed above failed, which is that Transients could be reused
> for page fragment caching at the point advanced-cache.php is loaded.  I was
> wrong, but that wasn't the major premise.

Not just because there's too much to load, but because "page caching" and
"fragment caching" are two utterly different things, and you can't suddenly
make them relevant to each other by saying "page fragment caching",
especially not in the context of advanced-cache.php. Ne'er the twain shall
meet, etc.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, because you keep missing the
point: Fragment caching is useful way up high in the application stack,
with plugins and themes. There is no fragment caching when you're working
at the level of page-or-no-page (i.e. advanced-cache.php). It's just not
relevant or useful. Sure, you could do some dirty tricks to pull apart the
page at the end of your output buffer handler, without any
application-level context besides the raw HTML, but... whaaaaat?

> One final question.  What's your dog in this hunt?

I know a fair bit about WordPress performance, and I don't like it when
someone is wrong on the Internet. Repeatedly. Where others might read it.

http://xkcd.com/386/