[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Rich Pedley elfin at elfden.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 20:52:22 UTC 2012

I'm surprised that this conversation has gone on as long as it has -
much longer than previous times from what I can recall.

Remember - the people asking for caching to be in the core are people
that want it for a reason - ie for a site. the majority of people that
use WordPress not only don't care whether it is there or not, they
probably never need it. I would estimate that well over 80, if not 90,
percent of users will never ever need caching.

Plugins, as Otto has repeatedly mentioned are there for a reason - and
if coded well can do the job just as good as anything added into core.
Provided the hooks are there for the implementation of a caching
plugin then there is no issue, and if they aren't - then they can be
requested to be added!

But what if you don't like the current caching plugins that are
available? well there as an obvious answer to that - write your own!
Or adapt what is available - I have written countless additions to
existing plugins when the need arises.

Rich