[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 25 06:33:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Bryan Petty <bpetty at bluehost.com> wrote:
> If this were true, there wouldn't even be an object cache in core at all
> but there really is only one single way an object cache can be
> "customized" per-host/per-server/per-setup, and that's simply just
> selecting the appropriate backend based on what's available. I really
> don't feel like you should be required to go through the trouble of
> installing a 3rd party plugin...

And right there is where you failed. You see "third-party plugin" as
if it's some kind of bad thing. Plugins are part of the whole
ecosystem, man. They're first-party. We all write plugins. All the
importers are plugins. Many plugins are written and maintained by the
core team. The core team is currently discussing how to remove "Links"
and move it to a plugin.

We consider that plugins are first-class citizens in the WordPress
world. Most of the code in core *is* a plugin. It's all implemented in
the same way. Actions and filters, my man. Actions and filters.

> Your argument here might be helped a little though if the automated
> plugin installer also supported automatically moving any dropins
> contained in a plugin to wp-content.

Plugins can certainly do that. Please look closer at W3 Total Cache
and WP Super Cache.

> Yep, I'm very aware of that. You must have missed my introduction to the
> list last month

Bryan, I did not miss that, in fact, and please understand that I
write all messages in the full knowledge of who you are, who I am, and
what I am saying as said from me to you, at all times. I might get a
technical detail wrong here or there, but I'm not ignorant of what is
going on. I read everything on these lists, I know all the peoples
here. My point is that, usually, I'm replying to what you say. Not who
you are.

You haven't explained your concept well-enough to convince me of your
correctness. You say "it was proven that developers obviously need to
be taught how to use a file cache backend appropriately", but you
didn't give any technical detail. Please, enlighten us. What is the
appropriate way? This is wp-hackers, we can take the technical detail.

Show me the code. Tell me the right way. Saying "oh, well you didn't
do it right then" is a cop-out. If it wasn't done right, then by all
means, do it right and prove the rest of the world wrong. Convince
people.

I remain unconvinced.

> If the community has strong convictions against it, I'm not going to
> write it.

I have strong convictions that you don't know what exactly you're
talking about, but that's just *me* judging based on what you've
written thus far. Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened many times before.
But then, I admit that I don't understand most of what you're trying
to communicate here. I understand how the current system works, I can
see the way it works fully, and I like the way it works. I understand
the concepts you're talking about, but the ways you're suggesting to
implement them strike me as problematic, misguided, and strange. This
might be a failure of communication. Probably is. Code would be much
clearer, perhaps. I dunno. You tell me, man.

Get technical. Wow me. Show me the error of my ways. But please, don't
try to be condescending. Doesn't work.

-Otto