[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Sun Jul 22 10:57:56 UTC 2012

On Jul 22, 2012, at 3:31 AM, Chason Chaffin wrote:
> While I agree that fragment caching would be useful, it sounds like something that would be better as a plugin,

Core uses a drop-in[1] for handling caching which means only one caching plugin unless plugins are explicitly designed to work together. As there are many different ways to do caching you can get any flavor available, but you can only that one flavor.

To enable innovation in caching for WordPress the drop-in concept in core needs to be changed to enable multiple plugins to handle different aspects of caching. Currently advanced caching (pun intended) is really only viable for programmers with the time to invest.

> since generalizing it would be a difficult problem,

Why do you assume that?

-Mike
[1] http://hakre.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/must-use-and-drop-ins-plugins/