[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Ryann Micua ryannmicua at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 09:59:56 UTC 2012

I was curious what Almog was griping about so I checked
http://www.kravi.org/ on Google pagespeed and the stuff he mentioned
that aren't passing such as minification, browser caching and other
mainly due to external files.. I'm pretty sure those aren't easily cached.

> regrular user/developer wouldn't even know about caching or relazie
> the meaning of using it
and introducing a "basic caching" function isn't going to solve this
problem. In fact it could very well worsen it as the "basic caching"
function could very well be the problem with some particular server
configurations (since it can't cover all configurations as mentioned in

> In the current status we damage the users by not giving them basic feature
> as a part of the core.
How are we damaging users in this case? As Otto has mentioned previously
80% of users practically don't need caching and the only reason they'll
*want* one is because of Google. IMO caching just to kiss Google's ass
is a lame reason to do it. The 20% who do need caching (due to traffic)
are probably just going to customize (or most likely disable) any
built-in caching mechanism (if there is one) so they can add one that
fits their server configuration.

> And the worst issue- the plugins today doesn't know how to deal with
> caching.
How did you get to this conclusion? I may not have 8 years of
development experience but I do know that caching is not a one click
button that can be done (as of now) automatically.

--
*Ryann Micua*
/Web Developer/