[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Wed Jul 18 18:51:48 UTC 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Steve Taylor wrote:
> That said, after years loathing IDEs and all their "useful" features,
> I'm finding PhpStorm fantastic.

I second PhpStorm. Our entire team uses it, with it's debugger.  IMO there is nothing else that comes close for working with WordPress.  Things like Sublime are pretty, but without a debugger I find them far less useful.

I also use Navicat for MySQL; again, I haven't found a more powerful tool for working with MySQL even though I don't love their user interface.

I don't use any of the *AMPP, I instead use the standard install of Apache from Mac OS X because I prefer the standard install into of having files located in non-standard places. That almost means I've directly installed MySQL.

And as I'm on Mac the rest are Mac specific

- Then there is Transit for FTP but I also have Forklift which I'm considering switching to.
- VirtualHostX for managing Apache virtual config and hosts files, similar to a *AMPP control panel.
- HTTPScoop for debugging HTTP issues, but considering switching to Charles.

That's about it.  Hope it helps.

-Mike