[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 17:09:24 UTC 2012

*Most* of the stuff you need for WP development would be hard-pressed
to have problems with anything but the lowest-end of current hardware
setups. I'm not sure, but I reckon Apache + PHP + MySQL + an FTP
client + a good editor have very low demands on a local dev
environment.

That said, after years loathing IDEs and all their "useful" features,
I'm finding PhpStorm fantastic. And anything like this (e.g. Aptana,
NetBeans, etc.) can become unusable on a very low-spec machine. My 4GB
RAM ASUS netbook copes fine, but I wouldn't want anything much weaker.

My desktop is an 8 GB RAM hex-core AMD Phenom II 3.2 GHz, but I got
that for video editing. Certainly doesn't harm the usability of a big
IDE though ;-)