[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Gregg Tomlinson gregg at fatheaddesign.com
Wed Jul 18 15:49:40 UTC 2012

Judging from the discussions back & forth I read on this list I'm not as hardcore a programmer as most of the rest of you, so I approach my dev process from a different level of expertise. I guess that's a polite way of saying that I'm pretty sure the majority of people on this list are smarter than me & better programmers / coders than me, but believe me when I say I find this list exceptionally helpful and informative, and an absolutely invaluable tool in my development process.

I don't like working locally, that's just a personal preference I'm sure but for me working locally just doesn't work. I like to be able to show clients / coworkers projects in process at any point during the dev process.

That being said, I wrote a blog post a while ago on my MAMP setup & dev process, for those of you who'd like to read it it's here: http://www.fatheaddesign.com/352/build-your-own-mac-dev-server-for-under-100/

This is a bit out of date now, since 10.6 I now use Screen Sharing when necessary and use SSH a lot more. Eventually I'm going to figure out how to use / build my own subversion server but that's a pie in the sky goal at this point, so for the time being I'm trying to make the transition to using Beanstalk for collaboration.

For code editing I'm sold on Sublime Text now (just not very happy with Coda any longer since v2 came out), and for CSS there's nothing better than CSSEdit.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

--g