[wp-hackers] Richer metadata for plugin versions

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 11 19:39:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Kevinjohn Gallagher
<kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Update. Immediately. Always."
>
> Thats just kind of unrealistic in the real word brother.
> I mean, it's not about plug-ins that ship with bugs, its that some plug-ins add random UI changes, move from being accessible ro inaccessible, or add in "news" meta boxes on the dashboard.
> Take the latest Yoast's WP SEO. Brilliant plugin. Moving form 1.1.8 to 1.2.1 added 4 new columns of crap in the default post, that make it unreadable - especially if using a fairly standard for non-geeks 1024 monitor.
> In a world where you're dealing with Governments, Education or Charity bodies - you can't go trusting plug-ins (or WP .0 releases) to not screw you over. And many of our "non-geeky" clients/users have learnt that.

Then choose better plugins. Or write your own. Or fork them and make
them your own. You know of all these options, of course.

I'm just saying that it's a bad idea to suggest that not-updating is a
viable strategy. If you don't want to update, then fine, but also be
aware of the consequences as well.

It's better to update than to not-update and become increasingly
behind and increasingly insecure. The time between exploits becoming
public and those exploits being actively used for evil is as close to
zero as you can imagine.

-Otto